Friday, June 1, 2007

Free Banana!

There has been no dearth of innovations from vendors to sell their product. The more innovative their advertising skills, merrier is the sales of their products...

This incident confirms this....

I often go to Dadar (a Mumbai suburb) during my college days. There were two reasons to it.. One was to attend some crash courses on some Engg. subjects and the other being the huge crowd of truly cosmopolitan girls~most of them college going! :-) Dadar was famous for 5 things viz., 1) Engg. Classes 2) Nice looking urban babes 3) Vada-Pav 4) Crowd and 5) Fruit Market.

I was on my way back to Dadar railway station walking on the narrow aisle of the Fruit market. There were many fruit stalls with their vendors yelling from their deep-throat~ They speak a mix of Hindi, Marathi and English U c... for ex. "Yeh phroot(fruit) bahoot tasteeee aahe saab!!!! " (This fruit is very tasty sir!)
But, there was a big crowd in one particular stall. A young kid was manning the shop. Curious to know the big crowd in front of his shop, I went near it only to get completely washed of my feet hearing the lad's screams...

"Saab!!...Kela toh muft hai...bas daam chilke ka hai....!!" (The banana is free but only the cost is of its peels).

3 comments:

Winner said...

Are Mumbai me to sab log
ek dusare ko banate rahate hai na
to usane free me bana na diya to kya bigad gaya tera

Anonymous said...

funny and innovative...

Ashwath said...

@winner: Are pande, Apne ko mgmt skills sirf IIM nahi local crowd bhi sikhate hain. ;)

@harsha: U can find umpteen no. of examples like this in Mumbai. I really love Aamchi Mumbai!