Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Trip to my native.

I had been to Trivandrum for my cousin's wedding. So as to spend my weekend (awaying from boring Blore) I went to my native place Parakkai (7 kms from Nagercoil). It was such a nice feeling to experience the serenity of our village. Myself and my cousin bro had a great time out there.

Parakkai (see wikimapia on your left) is a nature's gift pregnant with fresh unpolluted air, dashed with greeneries and fresh water ponds (kulam) all around. Our house is part of the beautiful Agraharam (houses around the temple). The Madhoosodhana temple has a beautiful fresh water pond facing it. Almost everyone in and around the Agraharam take their morning bath in this pond. Straight after bath a divine darshan of the Almighty. I realized how peaceful life is away from the pollution, space crunch, concrete jungles of the cities.


Saturday Evening... We decided to visit Sothavilai Beach.(see the pic) Its just a 3 km drive from Parakkai. I must say this beach is one of the best I had ever seen in my life. No crowds, zero pollution, whitish sand with lots of corals, surrounded by thick blanket of coconut trees etc.. U cant get better than this one... We drove the bike through the beach coast, cutting across the waves and strong wind... it was an experience to cherish for lifetime.

We took a bath there and it was a exhilarating experience as the waves were very strong and ferocious. There were none at the beach except two of us. At a roadside shop, just outside the beach we had hot Chilli Bhajjis and Chukku Kaapi(Dry ginger coffee). It was time to get back to home as it was getting darker, but we decided to visit Manakudy(a village 4 kms away). This village was devastated by the Tsunami and so was Sothavilai beach. More than 150 had lost their lives then :-(


When we reached Manakudy I was shocked to see a big bridge broken away in the lagoon by the Tsunami (file pic attached). Now there is a small makeshift bridge to connect the two villages across the bay. There was aroma of fish all over the place(Manakudy is a fisherman's village). I got a glimse of new houses all similarly designed for the Tsunami affected. After spending some time in Manakudy we headed back to Parakkai. We were feeling very hungry [forget the Bhajjis we had ;-) ] we stopped at a roadside small hotel. We both had Rasam Vadais, Paper roast Dosas and Coffee all for Rs.14/- . Surprised huh?? Tats village life for u.




Next day we visited Suchindrum(1 km from Parakkai) which is house to the famous Anjaneyar(Hanuman) temple and KaniyaKumari. We visited Vivekananda Rock memorial, Tiruvalluvar Statue, Gandhi Mandapam and surrounding beaches. U can see the Vivekananda rock and Tiruvalluvar statue in the adjacent pic.

Then it was time to say Bid Adieu to my brother and Perima and Peripa(Uncle and Aunt). It was a great break for me away from my boring job.

Now I am back in pavilion(I mean office) :-(
but rewinding my trip through this blog.

7 comments:

Satish said...

U r Very Lucky To Visit Native place often...Ours Tirunelveli n Kanya District are very good place to be in full of beaches n Waterfalls...Its Been 13 years I hav nt visited mine native place Tirunelveli...I Remember havng gr8 fun there...

Ashwath said...

@satish: I understand its difficult to take time out of our machine life.. But its worth a visit.. Afterall peace of mind is priceless u c.

Manivannan said...

Ash,
Nice write up..you have taken me to one of the cutest village. Village life is always the best.More relaxed. Would love to visit suchindram , heard lots abt the temple.
Nothing like Sukku kaapi. Is it available in our CCD :)

Ashwath said...

Mani,
Thanks sir.. I terribly missed a camera as i wanted to capture the scenic beauties of my village, KK etc..
Suchindrum temple is awesome..
Sukku Kaapi's taste is still lingering in my taste buds.. :-)

Anonymous said...

hey Ash, i can't see the pictures on the post - is there a problem?

Ashwath said...

@rakesh: Now You can see the pics. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Loggy : லோகி said...

i love Kanyakumari District dude!

btw.. thanks for your visit in my blog..

Ur blog is cool too!